Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Skills Room

I actually finished a Thursday task already, so I figured I had a moment to spare to write. My week is turning out less stressful that I thought, largely due to changes in the testing schedule.

Monday, back to school, was pretty uneventful, although I expertly removed a student from class and I don't think the other students even noticed. It's quite a change from my past technique of getting angry, yelling, and then having the class completely derailed. It's part of my work to use a strong voice, and not waste time on unnecessary words or raising my voice. My IL was pretty proud.

On the other hand, I showed that I get so nervous about my most challenging class that my tone changes. I become less excited, less vibrant, less urgent. I need to work on consistency in tone. That is my new project.

The big change in the testing schedule this round is that for each subject NSA (North Star Assessment) or IA (Interim Assessment), I am doing "small group" proctoring. Instead of trying to get work done while simultaneously proctoring a room of 20 students, I acting as scribe for a single, sweetheart, skills student. I read the questions for him and write his essays. It's a little more work to do, but it's much more laid back. Besides, I'm in a room with about 12 students and 4 teachers, so I can take a break to get water or use the bathroom. I don't need my usual test-day rule of never drinking any water at all. I also got to know my student a lot better.

That helped make my day better, more relaxing, and less exhausting.

Stay tuned tomorrow or the next day for a story about a running adventure and a really interesting review lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment