Sunday, April 21, 2013

Race Report: UNITE Half Marathon at Rutgers

Pre-race:
Okay, I wasn't as trained as I should have been. I have an all-consuming job that I love, and have had some issues with my knees and shins. Still, I arrived at the race this morning feeling good and ready to go. I was hoping for sub-2:30, or approximately 11:28 per mile.

I woke up at 6, 2 hours before the race, to eat a waffle and poop. I had my clothes laid out last night, so I was ready to go. Underarmour tights and t-shirt, cheapo running jacket, gloves, and a running hat. My boyfriend dropped me off at the start, so I didn't have to worry about parking, and then disappeared off to the med school library to study for his exam Tuesday. My parents were meeting me at the finish line, so I felt well supported on all fronts.

It was chilly. I stood in line for about 15 minutes, shivering a little bit, trying not to waste energy, waiting for a portapotty. By the time I figured out where to line up, the pre-race ceremonies were beginning. We got a short briefing on the rules, and then American flags were handed out. We had a brief moment of silence for Boston, followed by the National Anthem. The gun went off at 8AM sharp, and I eagerly tucked my flag into the strap of my waist pack. I wanted to tuck it into the back of my hat, but since my head is tiny and the hat is shapeless, it didn't really stay.

I began the slow procession of 6,000 people towards a 12-foot wide inflatable archway, ready to hit the Timex.

Race:
When I started, I was feeling a little sluggish, but I was planning the first 1-3 miles as a warmup. The first few miles were uneventful. Mile 1 was about 11:50, so I stepped it up a notch. There was a live band at miles 1, 6, and some other time a little bit later. Miles 2-6 were pretty easy, with some gently rolling hills through Rutgers' campus. I kept exactly on pace, and at this point, had about a 40 second cushion for my goal. I kept telling myself to slow it down, but keep it steady. That was my mantra for the day. Slow down, keep steady.

At mile 7, I really started to feel it. It had warmed up a bit (at some point I had managed to take off my armband and waist pack, take off my jacket, tie it around my waist, decide it was flapping too much and retie it so it was a little more compactly wrapped, and then replace the waist pack and armband. All while running. I felt pretty badass.) and I was getting tired. My calves were getting tired, and I knew I had quite a bit to go. I slowed it down a little bit. After my second gel at about mile 8, I was getting a little crampy, so I slowed a bit.

Up through mile 10, I kept perfectly on pace. I hit mile 10 within a few seconds of my goal. Unfortunately, mile 10-11 was a tight loop, and I could see mile 11's hill (or so I thought). It was tough seeing that hill, and knowing I still had a mile to go before I got there. It was even tougher seeing those runners way ahead of me only 12 inches to my left. I could have just stepped over the double yellow line, and I'd be so close to the finish...but of course, I didn't. Instead, I stopped to walk for 20 seconds. I didn't want to take longer, since I knew my muscles would cramp, and was able to pick it up again right at the bottom of the hill.

Like all internet sources said, I dug deep. The last 2 hurt a lot. It turns out that hill was just the start of about 3/4 mile uphill stretch. It hurt. My side was cramping, and I had that burpy/vomity feeling. I put my head down and counted to 100. Then I counted to 100 again.

By the time I looked up, there was a mile left, and I knew where we were. This was about 1/2 mile after the aid station where a girl was holding a sign saying "Only 1 mile left!" Things like that shouldn't be allowed. It's just mean.

I was familiar with this part of the campus, because I had run a 5K there in December. I knew that at the next turn, there was a short uphill. Ugh. Another 30 seconds of walking.

At this point, I knew I wouldn't be done by 2:30. It would definitely be close, and I downgraded my goal to a 10-minute PR (last HM was 2:44:25). I put my head down and dug deep. I counted to 100 and counted to 100 again. My side hurt and my calves hurt and my right hip was tight. If I bent my knees all the way they hurt. I looked up, and crested a hill, and the finish line was 100 meters downhill. I was going to do this! I wasn't going to die! Probably!

This is where my parents saw me and started shouting my name. Or so they told me. I was busy digging deep.

I crossed the finish line in 2:33:45.9.

Post-race:
I sat down for a minute, until my dad made me stand up and move around. Definitely better for the body, but it certainly didn't feel that way. I had a yogurt parfait (best idea ever!) and put on a space blanket. As I cooled off, my calves and hamstrings started tightening. I had some fish tacos and a hard cider with my parents and boyfriend, and then went home to shower and take a nap. Well, I went home to take a nap, but I figured I should shower too. Several hours later, I'm well fed, well hydrated, and only mildly sore in the knees and hip.

I ran a good race. I don't think I had the training for a 2:30. It was nothing I did wrong today. Next time, I've got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment