Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Graduation

I had a lovely Memorial Day Weekend. I spent most of it at Brown University, taking part in the annual Commencement festivities. We visited old hangouts, ate our favorite manhole-cover-sized cookies, and caught up with old friends. While I no longer have the stamina I did when I was younger, there were some good times had by all. Many of my friends have exciting plans for the future. I spent a lot of time encouraging folks to go to medical school or join Teach for America, or on to other careers I support.

I was going to go hiking afterwards, but all weather reports predicted thunderstorms, and I don't like climbing to mountain tops when there are so many volts of electricity running between the ground and sky. Instead, I stayed indoors, ate good food, and relaxed. I also squeezed a short jog in there, but mostly did not run during the weekend because of a strained calf. I think it's better now.

And back to school, 16 days left. Today we got our boxes so we can start packing. I really can't believe this year is almost over. It has been a crazy whirlwind of stuff. I will be very very something when it's over.

I overheard a 2nd grader today say to her friend that her big sister, who is in 8th grade, calls me Ms. Know-it-All. I'm not sure whether I'm pleased or insulted. I guess it's not too bad for a science teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment