Thursday, May 17, 2012

Heat

They just turned on the air conditioning today. Before today, it reached 80 degrees F in my classroom. The kids were cranky, we were cranky, and it was hot and sweaty everywhere. Nothing is worse than a room full of sweaty, cranky, 12- and 13-year olds.

Still, I've been having fun teaching. Yesterday, my homeroom class was awesome. My toughest student in that class was wonderful, and we ended up having great classroom discussions. We were learning about the nervous system, and students really enjoyed hearing stories about the history of neuroscience. I had so much fun.

Other lessons have ranged from awesome to disastrous, but there are more and more good ones these days. One frustrating thing, though, is that the kids really want to learn but won't sit still for a lesson. They will chatter and complain throughout a lesson, but then need immediate individual attention so they can learn what they missed. It's frustrating! I've been doing a lot of reteaching, because I love that they want to learn, but I need to find better ways of keeping them engaged throughout the classroom lesson.

For the first time in a while, this week, I've been keeping up on my running. I ran 4 miles on Sunday (felt terrible, but the weather was great) and 2.5 on Tuesday, and I plan on adding a couple more today. I may throw a 5K in sometime this weekend or next weekend just for fun, but my sprint triathlon is in only a month. I need to get working!

No comments:

Post a Comment