Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Day

Today was especially pleasant. I shared with some of my colleagues that I would be moving next year and their response was overwhelmingly supportive and excited. There are a lot of good people here.

I also had my homeroom for a double period this morning, which has become a delight. I had about 90% of students complete an entire writing assignment. I can't wait to read them! I tried something new (that I borrowed from another science teacher) and had a really open-ended assignment. The students were given a list of topical words and asked to write any paragraph they want using those words (producer, consumer, herbivore, etc). They loved it, they all did independent work, and they did a good job. I should try this again in the future. It really gives the kids a chance to challenge themselves at whatever level they need.

I got a surprise prep today, which kind of makes up for all of the periods I've have to cover lately (the library teacher broke her hip, so we've been especially shorthanded lately). My current class is getting a pizza party from their homeroom teacher.

This marks the end of the last full week of school. Starting next week, the weeks involve holidays, half days, testing, or more than one of those. It's really feeling like it's winding down. Soon I'll have to tell the kids I'm leaving, which will be really hard.

Today is my grandmother's 80th birthday. Happy birthday, Mama! This weekend is also Brown's Commencement, and I'm heading there right after school. I can't wait to see all of my college friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment