Friday, May 11, 2012

New Adventures

This job hunt was a whole lot shorter than my first one after college. Within two weeks, I've got a new job for next year! I'm going to be working at North Star Academy in Newark, NJ, which is part of the Uncommon Schools network. It's a system of schools that deals with a similar population to my students, but with a whole new level of functionality. In that it is actually functional. More details to follow.

I missed two days of school this week for interviews/family support. I am exhausted. Both interviews went great, and I came back to school with a renewed sense of not-quite-so-blah-ness. On Tuesday, I really put some effort back into improving the classroom environment, and was rewarded handsomely for it. On Wednesday, we had one of those half days when I don't lose any class time, only my prep time. Fortunately for us, the principal didn't plan anything for the "School Improvement Day", so we organized some end-of-year logistics within the 7th/8th grade team, and then left early.

Today went really well. My homeroom class, without the biggest personalities, runs wonderfully. I end up with a classroom full of 100% compliance, and the kids are loving completing their assignments. It's like heaven.

And then as I was driving home, I got a call that a massage appointment opened up this afternoon. I squeezed in a one miler before a lovely, lazy massage. My body badly needed both of those things. Tonight's going to be a lazy evening with a beer or two, some ice cream, and maybe some actual food of sustenance (maybe).

No comments:

Post a Comment