Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Babysitting

Today was an absolute MESS. Leave it to this school to take a potentially relaxing day and turn it into a ridiculous nightmare.

About half of the 7th and 8th grades were out on a field trip today. All of the smartest and best behaved students were at a pre-college fair at Eastern Connecticut State University, so I was left with small classes of the students who need the most help. Except, that’s not how it was organized.

Since some of the teachers were missing, and we can never get substitute teachers here, the 8th grade was combined and the 7th grade was kept separated. We didn’t know this right away, though, so I was told to watch all 25 7th graders for first period and the English teacher would watch them 2nd period, so I’d get an extra prep 2nd period. Of course, at the end of 1st period, after having a wonderful time watching an enrichment video on the human body and discussing some physiological anomalies, I was told that the 7th grade would be split up, and I did, in fact, have a class 2nd period. Not only that, I was told by the principal (in front of the class), “You can’t even control one of the classes, you shouldn’t have both of them.”

Thanks. After that, I couldn’t wait to have my nice small 8th grade classes. Wait, what? The 8th grade is all being combined? Into a class of 28 kids? Awesome. I have them 3rd and 7th periods, and I can’t do anything with the class, because each of the 3 classes is in a completely different point in the curriculum, as well as being differently differentiated. So, I had them “sit quietly and relax” for the duration of 3rd period.

I also found out that the schedule involved another teacher having both the 7th and 8th grade for a period. I keep forgetting, the priority is not teaching students, it's babysitting. Making sure nobody causes trouble. No teaching allowed today. That really frustrates me today.

I forgot to mention a few good pieces of news. Last Wednesday, I was able to cross an item off of my bucket list. I don't actually have a bucket list, but I have always wanted to learn how to shuck oysters. I really enjoy eating them, and I could eat them a lot more often if I could buy them for 50 cents each at a grocery store rather than $2 each at a restaurant. One of the vocational high schools in the Bridgeport district is food service themed, and they maintain a fresh fish store. Our monthly department faculty meetings are usually held there, so I have been meaning to go for a while. Last week, I finally went there, and they had beautiful looking oysters. I happened to mention that I love them, but don't know what to do with them, and the women behind the counter jumped up to help. She pulled out an oyster knife, and showed me how easy it was to open one! I then bought an oyster and tried it myself. It wasn't very graceful, but I didn't lose any fingers, and they oyster was delicious. Success!

I also received a care package from my new employers yesterday. It contained an Uncommon Schools pennant, mug, post-its, and achievement-themed magnetic poetry. Much better than the welcome I got here, which was, "Oh crap, the science teacher we really wanted turned down the offer. Wait--who are you?"

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment