Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I Survived Report Card Conferences...

...and all I got was this lousy list of names and phone numbers.

It's actually a useful list, although not a lot of new information. I saw about 15 parents, 8-10 in my homeroom. Of the parents I saw, about half of them had wonderful children. A few had nice kids who needed to do more homework. One parent of a nice, smart kid explained to me that she was crying because her son used to not do work and get terrible grades. This year, he was all A's and B's.

A couple of parents of challenging kids were there. There were a few more parents I'd have liked to see, but there's still tomorrow. Three parents I saw who I think might help their children improve. Those were the toughest. It's hard to be nice and friendly, while saying that their child needs improvement on work ethic and attitude. Fortunately, I was not the first teacher these parents had seen, so it wasn't news to them. These parents promised they'd help, either by working with their child or by checking up on their school work. I'm hopeful. It was nice to talk to them, and I think it will help.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to see the parents of my students who are failing. If they don't pick up the report card, they never find out. There's no accountability for some of these kids. I wish I could help them, somehow.

It was nice to hear from a couple of parents that they had received my message, and didn't have time to return the call. I got a couple of new phone numbers. All in all, a useful experience. Tomorrow should be less crowded, but I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment