Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Report Cards!

Report card conferences are great for one major reason: half day of school! When I only teach 3 periods in a day, compared to the usual 5, I am much more able to put extra effort into my teaching. I had a good day with two of my classes, including homeroom.

My eighth grade unit 3 is going much more smoothly than unit 2, for several reasons. I am better about classroom management, so I have actually been teaching whole lessons to whole classes. I also have given more priority to student learning over teaching, so I don't rush to adhere to an arbitrary schedule created by some dumb inexperienced teacher (me). I may end the school year with one fewer unit, but they'll understand what I've taught better.

The weather is terrible, which doesn't help anything. I really need some more sunshine in my life. The weather will probably affect attendance at report card conferences this evening. From what I've heard, there are usually parents pushing their way in during the evening conference (4-6:30) and it's mostly empty during the afternoon conference (tomorrow, 1:30-4). And though I think it's counterproductive to cancel afternoon classes so we don't work goo many hours in a day (union regulations), I'm certainly not complaining.

I'm getting a little anxious, but my room is nice and clean. My desk is entirely cleared off (thanks for closets), except for a skeleton model and a 600 mL beaker full of Jolly Ranchers. I'm ready for this.

P.S. I can already hear small children screaming in the hallways. Oh boy, this will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment