Monday, November 7, 2011

On a Roll

Really, I'm on a roll. At least, personally. I didn't cry at all today. I think I've overcome a big hump in not letting school affect my life outside. I did a big gym workout yesterday and I went running (with friends!) today. I might even go to spin class tonight. And, tomorrow's a PD day!

I met with the principal today. We cleared up some things, and I think it's okay. I have a better understanding of what is expected from me both as a teacher and as an employee. I think she genuinely wants to improve my teaching skills, rather than scare me away. Although, I can understand why she finds this frustrating. The last new science teacher she groomed became an excellent teacher by his second year, and then left. I will probably do the same.

The principal did give me a few pieces of concrete advice. I need to choose fewer rules for the classroom and enforce them all, every time. I have too much going on. Also, if I try to give 100% to every class every day, I will be less effective everywhere. I need to prioritize; I need to pick one class, every day, to focus on improving. The rest, I should maintain the status quo as far as classroom culture is concerned. And I can't pick the easy classes to focus on.

Two challenging students were good today, and one of those was exceptional. She not only finished her work, but helped her classmates as well. That is what I'm going to think about today.

1 comment: