Friday, November 4, 2011

Yes I Am

I'm a good teacher, and nothing you say will change that. Well, maybe not that good, but I'm getting there.

Today was a pretty good day with my classes. The principal stopped by twice this morning, once during homeroom and once during science class with my homeroom class. The first time, the students were all in seats and chatting quietly. The second time, the class was a little loud, but largely on task. She asked a student, "What are you supposed to be doing?" He answered, perfectly, "We're writing testable questions for Science Fair." YES. Best answer.

I had my formal observation by the science chairperson, who told me that she thinks I'm great, and to ask her if I need anything. It's nice to have someone on my side, especially her. She is really helpful, and although my lesson didn't go perfectly, it went pretty well.

In the afternoon, I had a great save. A class came in disastrously, and wouldn't calm down. So, I kicked the loudest one out, and then taught like my life depended on it. Students who were taking notes got to follow the physics lesson with a toy car, and if they were off task I'd take it away. Eventually, I had 90% of the class listening intently, and dropping the car on the table when I explained about the invisible force of gravity. They did well on their exit tickets too.

After school, I met with my TFA adviser, and he gave me some useful insight. When my principal walks in my classroom, I try so hard to impress her that I pretend everything is okay, sometimes to the point of ignoring my class at that moment (while, say, trying to explain the daily objective). My pretending I'm doing great shows her that 1) I don't care about managing my classroom, and 2) I don't ask for or take advice. Oops. My adviser pointed out that my habit of getting defensive in that situation turns me into a person who doesn't appear to take criticism.

Oops. That is not me. Well, it is me, but it's only how I look. I get defensive. Even though, on the inside, I'm making lists and plans and posters and ideas and writing and improving. I need to communicate better.

And then my adviser reminded me that I'm doing great. That's all I need to hear sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment