Thursday, September 1, 2011

2 Down, 181 to Go

I guess the shiny newness of it has begun to wear off already, but it's still fun. Today, my classes ranged from Super-Awesome to Why-Am-I-Here.

Before class started today, I discovered my mailbox in the main office, which was full of junk I need to look at. Tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow.

My first class was a double period of eighth graders, and they were GREAT. They were enthusiastic about the material, learned procedures with humor, and were totally blown away by my demo (sodium polyacrilate + water in a styrofoam cup, and no water comes out!). The 90 minutes I had them flew by.

Then there was a class of seventh graders that just didn't get it. They were not cooperating. I couldn't get a word in amongst all of their side conversations. I had them practice lining up to exit for ten or fifteen minutes, because they couldn't do it without talking. By the end, I'm pretty sure they hated me. I even got a solid dirty look, the kind that can only be made by a twelve-year-old female in school.

Tomorrow is payday, but not for me. I have to wait another two weeks, due to some certification-pending stuff.

After school we had a meeting, which ran long, and in which we learned that we are expected to do a lot of extra work for our special education students. Not thoroughly surprising, but adding stress to the pile.

I also had to have the next two weeks of lesson plans prepared by tomorrow, which I've done. I've enjoyed doing it. You know you've found the right job when you enjoy the homework. Still, I'm going to take a couple of days to relax. Tomorrow is Friday, which means I teach 6 periods. It'll be long, my back will hurt, and my voice will get tired. I'm a little nervous about the first full day, but I just have to get through it and then it's the weekend! My first weekend as a teacher...I better make it count. I may even have a drink with dinner tomorrow.

I received my boxspring today; my apartment is almost complete. I only have a garbage can left to receive, and then it's finished! Also, some cleaning to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment