Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Getting the Hang of--Whoops

I thought I was getting the hang of this, I really did. I guess there will be no entirely smooth days, and there will be no easy days.

Yesterday, three of my classes were good to great. I even did a lab with one of them! The lab was a little challenging, because I didn't give them clear enough instructions, but it was definitely not chaotic. Students were mostly trying.

The lab was pretty simple, with the goal of teaching students how to use a ruler and triple beam balance. They were to measure and mass chewing gum before and after chewing, and record data. The chewing gum was very exciting, since it is not allowed in school. They didn't all get to all parts of the lab (some forgot to measure before chewing, and some never took it out of their mouths to measure afterwards), but I could have done a better job of explaining each step.

The other two good classes went well, and I got through a lesson on the Scientific Method, which is really the most important part of any science class.

Then came my last period class. I could not get ANYTHING done. They wouldn't stop talking. When I gave them consequences, they mocked me. A few kids participated, but I got nothing from the rest. It was rough.

I got some advice from other teachers, which included reminding the students that I was there to help them and getting some of the louder students on my side.

Today I am optimistic, as I prepare for them seventh period. If I have trouble with them, the assistant principal has offered to stop by.

My other classes started well, although I had trouble with one of them because I ran out of material before the end of the period, and they couldn't sit still through an impromptu review.

Also, while I was only lunch duty, one of the parents stopped by to introduce herself to me, and commented that her daughter said I was often frustrated because the class doesn't listen to me. Great. Awesome. That's embarrassing.

Don't be cranky for the afternoon classes, that's what I keep saying to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment