Monday, September 26, 2011

Fingerprints!

My mommy said I had to go running before I was allowed to blog, so I did. I ran about a mile. It wasn't thrilling, but it made me more relaxed.

I then arrived home to receive my health insurance card (finally) and a notice from the school district telling me I have to report for new-hire fingerprinting...on Thursday afternoon. Nope. Not happening. I will be outta here. I will be home from Wednesday night until Thursday night for the holiday. So, not only do I have to wait until tomorrow to call HR, but I will be anxious about it all night until I can reschedule.

Today was pretty uneventful (except, of course, for the fight in the next room, but this doesn't thrill me anymore). My first class had a double period (I have a different class each day for a double period 1st and 2nd). First period was a test, which ran smoothly, and second period was Mythbusters! It was the episode that tested the Coke and Mentos myth, which my class seemed to enjoy.

I spent my double prep making copies of worksheets that I will use when the class is not cooperating or I am not feeling well. It is good to know I now have a gradable assignment to threaten them with, when they don't stop talking.

My next class did pretty well through the first half of the period, for a "fun" review game, but then they wouldn't settle down and I made them write notes for a grade.

The third class was really good. They had earned 15 class points, so I rewarded them with donuts. Each student got 2 mini-donuts from Stop and Shop, and I had a handful of donuts remaining that I gave out for right answers. We finished last Friday's lesson, and although I haven't looked at the exit tickets yet, I think they'll be good.

And then the last class was a little rowdy. I went through the review game with about half the class, while everyone else chatted in the back. I wasn't in the mood to fight with them about it, and they were chatty because of some more bathroom stall graffiti. I've heard rumor that they will lose their bathroom privileges, and have to go as a class once a day. I don't know how it will work, but it's better than letting them nag me all class to go to the bathroom, and then spend ten minutes roaming the halls.

Tomorrow, all four of my classes have either a test or a quiz, which should make my day not-too-hard. We do have the superintendent walking through the building tomorrow, so I have to make sure my kids are on their best behavior.

It frustrates me that kids keep getting into fights. So many of them seem to think that fighting is the only way to solve their problems. I hope they learn better before they turn 18.

This week, I hope to teach my kids a quick lesson about Rosh Hashanah, so they know why they get a day off Thursday. I already bought the apple slices. I would NEVER let them eat honey in my classroom, so I think we'll do apple slices dipped in sugar. Not too bad for a Bridgeport Rosh Hashanah. I'm already thinking about the jelly donuts for Hanukkah...

No comments:

Post a Comment