Monday, September 5, 2011

Old

I have never in my life considered myself to be old. Yet, I keep finding examples of being much, much older than my students.

Most of my students are 12-13, which means they were born in 1998 and 1999. I have been playing video games since before they were born, and sometimes the same games! (Pokemon anyone?)

A student asked how I old I am. Of course, I don't think I should share something like that, but I asked her to guess anyway. The two guesses I got were 29 and 32. Ha.

This evening I was doing one of the more enjoyable busy tasks, which is putting together a sub folder. I want to have a folder in my desk for a substitute teacher. It will have worksheets and lesson plans for 3-4 days worth of work. This time, I was surfing through episodes of Mythbusters looking for something appropriate for class (no fighting or shooting, explosions okay), and I came across the phone book episode. It's one of my favorite episodes because it really shows the strength of friction. They show that if you take two phone book, and put them together so that each page alternates with a page from the other book, it is really hard to pull them apart. So hard, in fact, that it takes two heavy duty tanks driving in opposite directions to pull them apart. Unfortunately, I don't think my kids know what a phone book is.

No comments:

Post a Comment