Friday, September 16, 2011

Day of Firsts

Today was interesting. First of all, I made it through my first full week. It's been exciting, stressful, and rewarding. I think I'm in the right place.

Second, it was the first fight in my classroom. When my third period class entered the classroom, one student (tall female) was hitting another student (small male, one who had at one time asked to be excused from class because he was getting angry). The male student picked up a binder and chucked it across the room at the girl. It missed her, and hit another student. Then he grabbed an empty crate that I use to collect homework, and I tried to take it from him. He followed the girl out of the room, at which point my students and a teacher broke them up.

I had another teacher cover my class, while I went to the principal's office to fill out paperwork, which led to another first: the first time I cried at school. I was upset, I was frazzled, and my students all crowded around me to comfort me. The assistant principal said it was okay, and that it helped to show my students I was human. I hope so.

I also had my class observed by the assistant principal, because I'm a first-year teacher, and she had great things to say. She said that my lesson was well-planned and that the kids were engaged.

Most of my classes went smoothly, though. I gave them a quiz, and most of them worked quietly. A couple of classes finished the quiz early, and were rewarded with an RC helicopter demonstration. They loved it! My last period class was a little tough, but I'm antsy too at the end of the week.

I then joined the staff of my school for happy hour and Tex-Mex.

I think I'm gonna like this job, warts and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment