Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Surprise!

Blogging while watching Glee. I've got some hard core relaxing going on here.

Today started out really well. My double period this morning was one half quiz, one half new material. Before the quiz, I had a quick review session, which helped a lot (I haven't graded yet, but I'm hopeful). After the quiz, I began a lesson on making line graphs. The hardest part was explaining how to create a scale for each axis. I explained once, to a load of confused looks. Fortunately, the students were willing to raise their hands to express that they were confused. I then improvised a scaffolded (building-up from a smaller example) example...

...and then the principal and Bridgeport school superintendent walked it. I knew he was walking around the building, and that we should be on our best behavior, but I was told not to expect a personal visit. I guess I should have. I was terrified.

Fortunately, at that point in the lesson, visible Eureka moments were occurring as students were beginning to understand graphing, and were excited to answer my questions and help guide the rest of the students. Of course, the students were on their best behavior for the principal. It was beautiful, and reminded me why I'm here. The visitors left a few minutes later.

During lunch duty, the principal told me I did a good job. I know that it was really an AWESOME job.

The rest of the day was all testing. It ranged from kids all working hard, to me having to take away tests and fail students because they were talking/cheating. Who does that?

There has been one change in the daily routine, which is that students can no longer use the bathroom during class. Each class gets to go at the start of fourth period. This takes away 15 minutes of instruction, but keeps the hallways much, much quieter.

After school, I had a TFA investment meeting, which made me think and inspired a bit, but I was very anxious about the exam-grading time I missed. Now it's after 8PM. No work allowed after 8. Time for Glee, fish sticks, sake, and iPad games.

No comments:

Post a Comment