Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Real-Time

Today I had some more real time coaching, and I need to say some terrible things about my coach (just kidding, she's great). I need to do better with clear expectations and behavior narration. I was coached into a couple of minutes of almost 100% compliance, though. It was beautiful. I have a lot I need to work on, though, so I can get there myself.

Clear expectations. I had a world of results last month when I was reminded that clear expectations are awesome, but I've been too lazy about implementing them. I've got a few that have been working great, but I need to spend more time planning ahead. I have to plan not only to give clear expectations, but how to make them better. Until I get an instinct for it, I need to spend more time writing them out ahead of time. Not surprisingly, I tend to get too wordy when left to my own devices. Clear, concise.

And behavior narration. I need to do more of it, even though it feels awkward. I need to be better about narrating the kids who are unusually good, and narrating circles around the bad folks. Peer pressure at its finest.

Today, my homeroom class got really enthusiastic about a lab activity. To introduce the digestive system, we're doing a lab where they can test whether chewing, talking, or amount of saliva affects how fast a Lifesaver dissolves. They will eventually "discover" that it is both saliva (chemical digestion) and chewing (mechanical digestion) that are necessary for eating.

I took a couple of days off running, but I need to get back into it today. I'm hoping for 2 miles, then some work, then trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment