Thursday, March 22, 2012

Relationship Coaching

Today the coach came again, and although the class started in chaos (surprise eye exams for 10 kids at a time!), I eventually had 90% on task for a self-directed science experiment (what variables affect heart rate). Almost every student helped design and participate in an original experiment with their group. I had students walking, speed-walking, laughing, and "sleeping". They were also testing out homemade lie-detectors (stopwatch and pulse). My feedback was regarding student relationships, which I always need to spend more time on.

I've been working hard on getting to know students better, being a little more forgiving, and helping them with problems. I've been spending more of my prep time talking to students one-on-one. My assignment for my coach is to get to know two students by inviting them for lunch (food bribery works, I imagine) and just chatting. I picked my two students, and I can't wait to get to know them. One of the students moved into the school a few weeks ago, and today was switched into my homeroom (from the higher class) and was NOT happy about it. The other student is also fairly new and I realized I have had more contact with his grandmother than with him.

In building relationships with students, I also decided to take part in the school "boot camp" this afternoon, which meets Tuesdays and Thursdays starting this week. It's a one-hour workout session with a sixth grade teacher and about a dozen students, 2 of them from my classes. I went for a nice mile-ish jog and then took part in an obstacle course. I need to bring better clothes; I only had a t-shirt and sneakers this time. Today definitely called for shorts (or something other than green slacks). It was fun, though, and I worked up a good sweat before finishing my work.

This morning, while the 8th grade finished testing, I showed my kids August Rush, a fantastic feel-good movie starring Robin Williams and that kid from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Not only did I enjoy the movie (and some tears at the end), but I also managed to FINISH grading papers. For the first time this year, I was completely current on grading. Then, I taught two more classes, but for the span of almost an hour, I was done grading.

My other assignment is to work on my positive incentive plan. Starting next week, we decided I will put in place a reward ticket system, and students are given tickets for good behavior. At the end of the week, the tickets are put in a bucket and a couple of prizes will be raffled off. I'm pretty excited about this, especially since I have a couple of cool science-y toys that my awesome 6th grade science teacher bestowed upon me.

Feeling positive and still sleepy. Tomorrow is Friday, and I'm hoping for a 4+ mile run after school. Right now, I'm meeting a friend for sushi happy hour. Pretty ideal, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment