Wednesday, January 4, 2012

$3

I didn't sleep well last night. It was awful. Every minute I was awake I spent dreading waking up at 7. I trudged into school. A colleague commented that I was dragging.

And then the kids came in. And they showed some enthusiasm for Science Fair. And I melted. I love them. They make me crazy, but I love them. It doesn't hurt that I get paid for it.

In addition to my paycheck, I'm selling presentation boards for Science Fair for $3 each. The money will be used to buy boards for next year: cheap, bulk, corrugated cardboard tri-fold boards. I've sold about 15 of them, and some students even bought their own over vacation. This thing is really moving!

I guess I'm delirious in my exhaustion. I'm also happy that some things went not-so-smoothly for other teachers for a change. I know that sounds mean, but I need to know I'm not the only one who gets in trouble for what the students do when given permission to leave the room.

I also noticed that the principal looked through my Science Fair lesson plans, and didn't make any comments. I'll take that as a compliment.

One of my classes was challenging today, but the rest were manageable. Only 1 referral today.

Another good part of today was the moment I discovered I could use kids' biases to make them work harder and learn to be nicer. For example, when I see two boys whispering and giggling in the corner, I can say, "Stop flirting, you two!" This will certainly get their attention, because no boy would want to be caught flirting with another boy. Then, inevitably, someone will shout out, "That's gay." And I'll respond, "Yes, I believe that fits the exact definition of gay. Which is fine to be. Just not in class." And then, with the class's attention, I'll teach them science.

Two days in, and two workouts down. Yesterday, I was running late at school, so I did some 5PM lunges and squats in the copy room before going to the gym. Today is a rest day. And I deserve it.

And, I have groceries and trivia to look forward to tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment