Monday, January 23, 2012

90%

The numbers are in. 90% of my students completed a Science Fair project! I'm really proud of them and me. Next year, I hope to have 90% completion with less class time lost.

In class, I'm back to routine. It's wonderful. I've laid down the expectations, and kids are (mostly) following them. One of my classes decided to be super difficult, but I have a new weapon: lunch detention. Tomorrow, I will have 7 students during lunch. If they don't show up, they get in-school suspension.

I taught well today. I had all sorts of students volunteering answers, it was great. Today, we learned how to determine whether work is being performed on an object. Tomorrow, we learn to calculate work and what mitosis is.

This morning, one of my students walked up to my desk, and said sheepishly, "Miss, I have sticky fingers." And he handed me a small Gumby figurine that used to sit on my desk. At least the kids aren't all bad.

I have started tutoring again, now that I'm not completely overwhelmed (and could use a few more dollars). I found a high school junior who needs help in math. I met her last night. She understands the work, but needs reminding on some concepts before the midterm tomorrow. It's really fun working with students one-on-one again.

Yeah, I pretty much love my job, even when the kids are being difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment