Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Interesting

You know what I'm finding interesting? We have some short standardized benchmark tests that we have to give our homerooms. It takes some class time, but it's generally a short (3-4 min per section) math, reading, and writing test. And then we have to grade them on our own time. It's a pain, but you know what? I'm finding it interesting.

First of all, the kids have improved considerably since we gave them the same type of test in October. It's like a whole new class. On the math test, I can see which topics they haven't learned yet (add/subtract with negative numbers) compared to which topics they probably covered recently because 80% of the class got those questions correct (multiplying two- and three-digit numbers). Every student seems to have improved somewhat in math, as well as writing and reading. Every single student.

I can't promise I've taught them anything, but now I'm sure it's possible. These kids are learning. They are getting something out of their seventh grade year. It leaves me with hope I can teach them as well.

Also, kids keep coming up to me to practice reciting the steps of mitosis. YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment