Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Reflecting Outside the Lines

This afternoon, I spend SO MUCH TIME doing some typical TFA reflecting. My adviser reads this blog (Hi!) so I won't go into too much detail, but I think you know how much I love reflecting that is neatly formatted into a Microsoft Word table. I need to reflect outside the lines.

Some of it was really helpful. I thought I'd share my three specific goals for the immediate future (after Science Fair, of course):
1. For unit 4, put more emphasis on overarching themes and guiding questions for the unit as a whole. 2. For unit 4, I will give students more opportunities to take notes and use the notes to practice. 3. I will create a system to ensure that kids take good notes and bring them back to class on following days (with a notebook grade?)

While I'm complaining, I wanted to let you know about the school internet blocking. Certain websites are blocked. I understand why, but I think teachers should have override passwords. Facebook is blocked, okay. But they block all possible shopping sites. So, when I walk into my classroom, and it smells like 7th-graders, I can't log onto Peapod and order some Febreeze. I have to wait until I get home, an I never remember things when I get home.

Today I had the satisfaction of being correct. I thought the class would run better if I brought work for kids who couldn't/wouldn't work on Science Fair. It did! Kids even ASKED for the worksheet!

I know you're all eager to hear about my vacation. That's good, because I don't feel like doing any more work.

I started with a trip to San Francisco. I managed to eat some good Chinese food, sushi, and seafood. I visited some wineries in Sonoma. Most importantly, I RELAXED. It was wonderful. I made it an entire week without worrying about school. I read TWO WHOLE BOOKS. I felt so accomplished. There is nothing like a Christmas eating Chinese food and watching (sleeping through) a movie with some other Jews.

My New Years' was spent doing more relaxing. It was awesome. I also ate some gourmet cheese, drank strawberry champagne, and watched Twilight Zone with my boyfriend and his family.

For Hanukkah, my sister got me a fitness tracking device. So far today, I've walked 7212 steps, 3.01 miles, and 9 flights of stairs. When I get home, I get to track my food too!

I have some new exercise goals, too. I've decided that 5:00-6:00 PM is workout time, EVERY DAY, except for Wednesday and Saturday. The only exception is Monday, when I do yoga from 5:30-7. I'm working on a more specific schedule, but I'm thinking this: Sunday long run; Monday yoga; Tuesday weightlifting; Wednesday rest; Thursday run; Friday weightlifting and interval run; Saturday rest.

I'm not great at sticking to a workout plan, but let's see how it goes. Since Monday, I'm 1 for 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment