Thursday, January 12, 2012

Acting 101

Today, we had a visit by some members of the new Bridgeport administration. So, although we were told to "do what you usually do", we all put on a show. I was worried, because I had to continue with the SF work time. Fortunately, the visitors showed up to my room during my prep, when I had about 6 kids working on their projects.

The students played along really well. One student explained her project (Coke + Mentos), and I showed them a Youtube demonstration. Needless to say, I had all the head honchos engaged. They had a lot of questions to ask about the curriculum, textbooks, and Science Fair. They don't have a lot of education experience (Bridgeport is trying something new - administraters with a financial background), so I was able to confidently explain things. I totally pretended I knew what I was doing. I even pointed them to the Bridgeport website to answer their specific questions about science curriculum pacing guides.

I was proud.

My day was generally good. I spent my two preps and an hour after school helping small groups of kids with their projects. Although I didn't get to sit down or relax all day, I really love the kids in small groups. They all really need personal attention, and they are a ton of fun when they get it. I'm not sure how much of that is because they are from less-than-ideal homes, or because they're twelve.

Fortunately and unfortunately, I realized today (after nearly 5 months of teaching) that I can refill my water bottle with the sink in my room. I can't believe it never occurred to me. I felt silly when I finally realized it. Now, when I teach three periods in a row, I won't run out of water. Unfortunately, my day without breaks led me to a really uncomfortable moment after school, when I sent two of my students to walk down the hallway and find a teacher who could watch my students for a couple of minutes. I'll plan better next time.

It was a good day in a thoroughly exhausting sort of way, but I even got to the gym for a good workout. I was worried that I lost my New Years' kick, after Monday's skipped workout (I gave blood!) and Tuesday's lame workout (stupid kids). But, I got my workout in today, a short but fast run on the treadmill.

I might actually feel confident enough to register for the race my friends are doing - a St. Patrick's Day 4-miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment