Sunday, January 8, 2012

First World Problems

Prior to today I had 2 major problems: first, I had recently downloaded the second part of the sixth season of Doctor Who onto iTunes, but since getting a Roku for Hanukkah, and being able to watch Netflix on my TV, I no longer feel satisfied watching TV on my computer. Second, the boredom of running makes it hard to do it regularly.

Voila, problem solved. I have discovered that the iPad sits perfectly on the treadmill, and the time just floats by as I watch Doctor Who.

If you are unfamiliar with the term "first world problem", I recommend looking into it. It's an internet meme describing complaints that can only be made by someone living in a privileged society like ours. An example would be something that bothers me every couple of days: the free gym in my apartment complex is 1/4 mile from my apartment, and I wish I had a closer apartment because I feel silly driving there.

On Friday, I had no school, so I decided to visit my middle school. My own middle school, where I grew up. I had a wonderful time, and it's a little schadenfreude-ly fun to see rich white Jewish middle schoolers having the same social problems as my kids. I also got to speak to some of my favorite teachers and mentors growing up. My middle school chorus teacher, who had been supporting my acting career since she taught an acting class I took at the local community center when I was five, showed such genuine pride in my career choices and successes that I was flattered to the ground. (Is that even a real expression? Can it be?) It reminded me how much confidence she gave to a quirky middle schooler to be herself, some years ago. I also saw my high school film and literature teacher, who has since become the chair of the English department in the district. In addition to having 18(?) years of experience teaching in an urban setting, and being able to sympathize with the fact that my students don't want to do work because they plan to grow up to become basketball players or rappers, is an incredible inspiration as an educator. He reminds me that even suburban education isn't perfect and that there are things that I can do personally to fix systems.

And then there was my sixth grade science teacher. I'm sure I've mentioned before that I want to grow up and be her. Walking into her classroom was like coming home. And in response to doing a little thing like mentioning a fraction of how much I admire her, she gave me things. Lots of things. Advice, enthusiasm, empathy, and most importantly, posters for my classroom, activity books, classroom demonstrations, and other goodies to share with my kids. Also, the promise of more. She also expressed pride in my attempts to carry on the torch. I hope to live up to her expectations.

At the very least, I know I'm working on it.

And besides, I've made it through a week of perfect workouts. 5 workouts, 2 rest days, 1 episode of Doctor Who.

Also, sweetest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment