Thursday, January 19, 2012

SCIENCE FAIR!!!

Science Fair will be over in one hour. And some time tomorrow for kids to finish up presenting. And some awards awarded on Monday.

I'm proud. The science chairperson is proud. My colleagues are proud. It's awesome.

Today was a whirlwind of scheduling challenges. I was told to request a sub, so we could have an extra adult around to help with the fair. I thought it was a great idea. I was planning to take my classes down to the library to view the boards and do some of their presentations during class time.

Unfortunately, the plans were different. The sub arrived during homeroom, and I was told my job was to stay at the fair all day. I could take four or five kids with me at a time, to help show classes and community members through. Cool! I can spend the whole day overseeing my best students teaching younger classes.

That wasn't exactly how it worked. First of all, it meant that other than a few kids, the 7th and 8th graders never got to walk through the fair and see all of the boards. The principal didn't want me taking my classes down so it wouldn't be too crowded if any parents or community members showed up. Unfortunately, there were classes scheduled for the library at several points during the day, so it was marginally chaotic anyway, and I couldn't do the small group presentations. Also, the younger classes were never given a schedule of when they should come down, so other than the time that the entire 2nd grade (2 classes) was called down over the loudspeaker, and that time a fifth grade class decided to show up, I never saw any other classes.

A few teachers stopped by on their own, including my mentor and my favorite science teacher in the school upstairs. The science chairperson even visited, and had wonderful things to say. I'm a pretty big fan of her. She is really supportive.

I spent the day generally being exhausted and getting a bunch of paperwork done. Overall, the day was a pleasant surprise, and I'm really freaking grateful that this thing is over. Until next year. [Cue scary music.]

1 comment: